Mold often leads to numerous severe health problems that put you and your family at risk if you don’t address it quickly. That’s why the mold remediation experts at Insulation Co. put together a brief guide on how to remove mold safely from your home.
Continue reading to learn the following.
- Understand what’s behind mold growth
- Document the mold situation and create a mold remediation plan
- Calculate the extent of the mold contamination
- Mold removal safety precautions
- Start the attic mold removal process
- Check if the mold cleanup was successful
Step 1: Understand What’s Behind Mold Growth
Excess moisture is the main culprit behind mold growth. When water seeps into a home, tiny mold spores land on the wet surface, forming large mold colonies quickly.
Step 2: Document the Situation and Create a Mold Remediation Plan
Before starting the mold cleanup process, you must document the outbreak and create a safe and efficient mold remediation plan. It’s best to take detailed pictures or videos of the mold outbreak and talk to a remediation expert like Insulation Co. for advice on moving forward.
Step 3: Calculate the Extent of the Mold Contamination
Mold can develop into a much larger problem if you don’t remove it swiftly. Once you find a mold colony, thoroughly check the surrounding areas to ensure it hasn’t contaminated other parts of your home. This will also help you develop your mold remediation plan.
Step 4: Start the Mold Removal Process
It’s best to contact a professional mold remediation service to extract the mold for you. They have vast experience performing house mold removal and know how to eradicate mold colonies while limiting their exposure.
Nevertheless, if you plan on conducting home mold removal yourself, you must wear protective gear and follow the steps listed below.
- Wear protective clothing
- Wear an N-95 or P-100 respirator with heavy-duty goggles and gloves
- Repair the water problem
- Isolate the contaminated area
- Moisten moldy areas using a spray
- Place materials in plastic bags
- Turn off the furnace and air conditioner while covering ducts and doors to contain spores
- Ventilate the room
- Open moldy walls
- Remove all wet and mold-damaged materials
- Clean all mold-ridden non-porous materials and wood surfaces
- Vacuum the debris
- Keep your wet/dry vacuum outside
- Scrub moldy surfaces with a mold cleaner
- Seal and repair moldy areas after drying
Step 5: Check if Your Mold Cleanup Was Successful
After completing the mold cleaning process, it’s crucial to revisit the affected area to ensure everything is clean. Experts recommend checking back a day or two afterward to see if you successfully eliminated the mold. If you don’t notice or smell any mold in the once contaminated area, your removing mold treatment was successful.
Contact Insulation Co. for All Your Mold Remediation Needs
Insulation Co. is your source for high-quality mold remediation services in Washington State. We make mold cleaning easier than ever and can handle all your mold remediation needs at a price that fits your budget.
Contact Insulation Co. at (425) 903-6453 and get first-class remediation of mold today!